Muslim Hate in the Congo
Dozens killed as Islamist violence erupts again in eastern DRC
November 3, 2017
By World Watch Monitor
After a period of relative calm, violence has resumed in eastern DRC.
Various attacks by armed groups, including the radical Islamic group
Muslim Defense International (MDI), formerly known as the Allied
Democratic Forces, have claimed dozens lives among civilians in
September and October.
In one recent attack on 26 October, suspected MDI militants stormed the
Masiani neighbourhood of Beni. Local sources say the militants were
hiding in the neighbourhood, waiting for nightfall to attack the local
population, but that a soldier discovered them and immediately alerted
security forces. The rebels then immediately burst into action and
attacked the city. Clashes with the military led to at least six deaths
(one soldier, five civilians).
A foreign missionary in the area described a chaotic situation, which
caused fear among residents: “When we arrived we could not get into our
neighbourhood. It was a real battlefield. Bombs, gunfire and people
running. Large calibre shells are everywhere. A thousand or so people
fled the area towards Beni,” he said.
In the early hours of Friday 27 October, unidentified gunmen also
attacked the Nyankunde Evangelical hospital in Beni, situated on the
Beni-Butembo road. Local sources say the attackers woke up the director
of the hospital at about 1am, and forced him to lie down on the floor.
They told him to give them all the money he kept with him.
Other medical personnel were also ordered to lie on the floor. The
assailants looted money, some medicine and about 40 mobile phones
belonging to the patients, carers and nurses.
They also beat up some of the nurses and patients at the hospital and left just before security forces arrived.
Earlier in October dozens were killed, including two UN peacekeepers,
following raids attributed to MDI militants and clashes with the army
backed up by UN troops. Some 11 civilians were killed when a convoy was
ambushed between Kamango and Beni on the evening of Saturday 7 October.
Most of the victims had their throats slit with machetes. More than 20
others were kidnapped, and their decomposed bodies were found a week
later and buried on 15 October.
Violence in the volatile province of North Kivu claimed more than 1,000
lives between October 2014 and May 2016, according to local NGOs.
The Congolese government has always attributed responsibility for such
attacks to MDI militants. But a recent report by the Congo Research
Group, an independent group linked with New York University, cast doubt
on that assessment.
The report – the result of over two years of research and 245
interviews, including many with perpetrators – claims to uncover “a
more complex” and “more disturbing” reality.
The report, ‘Mass Killings in Beni Territory: Political Violence, Cover
Ups, and Cooptation’, attributes some of the blame to the Congolese
army, specifically naming one commanding officer, General Muhindo Akili
The recent upsurge of violence coincides with social unrest as
protesters demand the departure of President Joseph Kabila, whose
constitutional mandate expired in December 2016. On Monday (30
October), some activists, members of LUCHA (Lutte pour le changement
/Struggle for change), marched in the streets of Goma, the North Kivu
provincial capital, chanting, in French, “Joseph Kabila must go because
his mandate has ended”. At least five people were killed in clashes
between protesters and security forces, although some sources report as
many as 30 deaths.
DRC has been in political turmoil since December 2016, when President
Kabila’s second and last mandate expired without fresh elections.
The San Silvestro Agreement, mediated by Catholic Bishops, on 31
December provided for the establishment of a national unity government
aimed at leading the country to new elections by 2017. But analysts now
say it is impossible to meet the deadline as the national elections
body, the CENI (Commission Electorale Nationale Independante), said
elections can only be held 504 days after the end of voter registration.
Some have accused the government of masterminding the violence in the
east of the country and the central province of Kasai, with the aim of
creating a climate of instability which will serve as a pretext for
President Kabila to stay in power.
Islamist Extremists Attack Churches, Terrorise Nuns In Bid To Sabotage Church's Peace Mission In The Congo
24 February 2017
Islamist extremism is bringing death and destruction not only in the Middle East but in other parts of the world as well.
In the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), formerly
Zaire, in Central Africa, Islamist extremists have been targeting
churches in what a top Roman Catholic official believes is a deliberate
effort to "sabotage the church's mission of peace and reconciliation"
in the country and bring it back from the brink of war.
Roman Catholic Cardinal Monsengwo Pasinya of Kinshasa told the Catholic
charity Aid to the Church in Need that churches in the DRC are being
desecrated and Christian nuns terrorised by "violent thugs" amid a wave
of increased hostility on Christians.
Last week, the extremists burned the Malole major seminary and "sown
terror among the Carmelite Sisters" in nearby Kananga, Pasinya said.
The extremists also attacked the St. Dominic church in the town of
Limete. They "overturned the tabernacle, ransacked the altar, smashed
some of the benches and attempted to set fire to the church," the
Late last year, at least 38 people were killed when the Islamist
militant group Allied Democratic Force (ADF) attacked the DRC town of
Beni, according to Open Doors USA.
The ADF has reportedly killed more than 700 people in various attacks
since 2014. Christians believe the Islamist extremists want to uproot
and drive them out of the Congo so that the extremists can take control
of the East Africa Lakes area.
In August last year, Pope Francis denounced the Christian persecution
in the Congo after at least 36 Christians were hacked to death by the
jihadist group in the North Kivu region.
"My thoughts go to the people of North Kivu, in the Democratic Republic
of the Congo, who have been recently hit with fresh massacres, which
have for some time been perpetrated in shameful silence, without
attracting even as much as our attention," Francis was quoted by the
Radio Vaticana as saying.
"Unfortunately, they are part of the too many innocent people who have no weight on world opinion," the pope lamented.
Christians killed, as thousands flee continuing Islamist violence
May 6, 2016
World Watch Monitor
Islamist militants are suspected to have killed between 20 and 40
villagers in the eastern extremes of the Democratic Republic of the
Congo, according to news reports and a World Watch Monitor source.
Attackers carried machetes and axes into a village in North Kivu province, in eastern DRC, late in the evening on 3 May.
“Between 20:00 and 22:00, the enemy managed to get past army positions
and kill peaceful residents in their homes, slashing their throats,”
local administrator Bernard Amisi Kalonda told Agence France-Presse.
“The 16 bodies are in front of me, killed by machete or axe.”
One local source later told World Watch Monitor on 6 May that as many
as 34 may have died; another source quoted 38, including, he said, two
elders and their wives of the CECA 20 (Communaute Evangelique au Centre
de l’Afrique) Church.
A local Christian missionary told World Watch Monitor on 4 May that thousands of people have fled the area.
“It was eerie; hundreds of houses abandoned and thousands of people
displaced,” the missionary said. “I saw four coffins and a funeral or
two on the road. I saw people carrying their mattresses and things in
cars, on motorcycles, on foot.
“Hundreds of homes along the road are abandoned. Where there was thriving community, there is now a ghost town.”
World Watch Monitor is withholding the missionary’s name for security reasons.
Gen. Jean Baillaud, the military chief of the UN’s 20,000-soldier force
in the DR Congo, confirmed at least 17 people had been killed.
Local administrator Kalonda told AFP it is unknown if the attack was
carried out by Muslim Defense International, formerly known as the
Alliance of Democratic Forces. The 20-year-old alliance of Ugandan
militants was first linked with former Ugandan dictator Idi Amin. It
has long been active in the eastern regions of neighbouring DR Congo,
and is responsible for the deaths of hundreds of civilians since 2014,
according to the UN.
The MDI has repeatedly attacked the majority-Christian population in
eastern DRC for years. Kidnapping and murder are common. It is alleged
to have support from the Islamic government of Sudan, an assertion made
by the Uganda government and backed by Western diplomatic sources. The
group is accused of waging a proxy war for Sudan against Uganda as
retribution for Uganda’s support of secessionists who broke away to
form the nation of South Sudan in 2011.
The MDI is known to have attracted foreign recruits and to have forced Christians to convert to Islam.
The local population in the related area is overwhelmingly Christian
(95.8%) and the impact on them has been immense. After this latest
attack, World Watch Monitor heard from a pastor in the area who said
the people are terrified but that while some contemplated fleeing
again, others have opted to stay in the hope that things will normalise
In a letter released a year ago, the Bishops of the Province of Bukavu
(eastern DRC) denounced a “climate of genocide” and the passivity of
the Congolese State and international community.
“Does the situation have to deteriorate even more before the
international community takes measures against jihadism?” asked the
Bishops in May 2015, according to whom “a strategy of forced
displacement of populations is taking place in order to gradually
occupy the land and install outbreaks of religious fundamentalism and
terrorist training bases”, the Catholic news agency Fides reported.
WORD FAITH INDEX
CATHOLIC CHURCH INDEX